To: Institutions of higher education, research institutes, public institutions and companies in Guangzhou
根据《中共广州市委组织部等关于印发〈广州市“菁英计划”留学项目实施办法〉的通知》（穗组通〔2019〕54号，以下简称《广州市“菁英计划”留学项目实施办法》），现就2020年申报广州市“菁英计划”留学项目（Oversea Study Program of Guangzhou Elite Project，简称GEP）的有关事项通知如下：
According to the Notice of the Organization Department of CPC Guangzhou Municipal Committee on Issuing the Implementation Measures for Oversea Study Program of Guangzhou Elite Project (GEP) (Sui Zu Tong  No. 54; hereinafter referred to as the Implementation Measures for GEP Oversea Study Program), this notice is hereby given on matters concerning the application for the GEP Oversea Study Program in 2020. Please see below for details.
I. Policy Basis and Goal
The application for the GEP Oversea Study Program will be made in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Implementation Measures for GEP Oversea Study Program. The Program will, in view of the key socioeconomic development fields in Guangzhou, send selected outstanding young talents to internationally renowned universities to study relevant doctoral courses or attend joint doctoral program led by prestigious supervisors, thus prepare talent reserve to make Guangzhou a highly competitive, influential and leading front runner in talent recruitment and retaining and a core engine in the development of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
II. Types and Scope of Application
(I) Types of Dispatch
1. Graduate students pursuing doctoral degrees abroad (including doctoral students and those of combined master's/ doctoral program; the study for master's degrees will not be funded): The duration of overseas study ranges from 36 to 60 months, depending on the country/region and the education system of the host universities where they study;
2. Doctoral students attending joint program (those who visit host universities for research on certain topics during their doctoral degree study): The duration of overseas study ranges from 12 to 24 months as decided by both parties of the joint program.
(II) Types of Applicants
1. Applicants with job intent refer to the enrolled students who have clear intention of working in Guangzhou after returning home but have not yet had a determined future employer at the time of application;
2. Applicants with determined employer refer to enrolled students who have clearly specified that they will work for a determined future employer in Guangzhou after returning home, and outstanding incumbents at public institutions and companies under the city government (and district governments). Applicants under this type will be prioritized for funding under the Program.
(III) Host Universities, Majors and Applicants
1. Host universities: In principle, applicants should apply for studying with the top 150 internationally renowned universities or the top 50 subjects in the world. For the specific rankings, please refer to the latest rankings of the Academic Ranking of World Universities issued by Shanghai Jiao Tong University (http://www.shanghairanking.com/), QS World University Rankings, and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (see Appendix 1 for details). Application for host universities that are not included in the list of the overseas universities announced by the Ministry of Education will be declined.
2. Majors: According to the key industries and areas specified in the Outline of the 13th Five-Year Plan for National Economic and Social Development of Guangzhou (2016-2020), majors supported by the Program should be in modern service industries, advanced manufacturing industries, strategic emerging industries, urban modern agriculture and marine economy, specifically including finance, logistics, information services, e-commerce, technology services, convention and exhibitions, business services, culture, tourism, sports, health services, family services, pension services, education, real estate, catering, automobile, electronic information, petrochemistry, advanced equipment, next-generation information technology, biology and health, new materials and high-end equipment manufacturing, new energy vehicles, new energy and energy conservation and environmental protection, fashion and creativity.
3. Applicants. The Program accepts the application from the following applicants: outstanding enrolled full-time students from universities and research institutes in Guangzhou that are authorized to confer doctoral degrees; outstanding enrolled full-time students from renowned Chinese universities and research institutes having entered into a GEP cooperation agreement with Guangzhou; outstanding enrolled full-time students recruited from Guangdong Province and currently studying with a Double First Class university, and the world's top 200 universities in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan; and outstanding incumbents from public institutions and companies under the city government (and district governments).
III. Methods and Standards of Funding
(I) The funding of Program will be fully covered by the finance of Guangzhou and listed as part of the expenses of the GEP Oversea Study Program.
(II) The Program subsidizes the living expenses of the selected students during their study abroad, and the expense of one round-trip international travel. RMB 8,000 will be provided for an international travel to and from Europe and Americas; RMB 6,000 for an international travel to and from Asia and Oceania. The subsidy for living expenses is RMB 13,000 per month.
(III) Applications will be rejected if the applicants have been awarded the China Scholarship Council (CSC) scholarships but have not used them, or have received the same type of sponsorship for overseas doctoral degree program, or have been previously sponsored by the Program. Once sponsored by the Program, applicants shall not accept the sponsorship of any other programs; otherwise, they will be deemed to have violated the contract.
IV. Criteria for Application
1. Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for application: being patriotic, supporting socialism with Chinese characteristics, having good political literacy, obeying the laws, staying physically and mentally healthy, and being willing to return home and contribute to the social and economic development of Guangzhou; having outstanding performance in work and study, solid foundation for professional study and potential for development.
2. Applicants should already hold a bachelor's or master's degree before being dispatched for overseas study. In principle, enrolled students should not be aged above 35 ( should be born after March 31, 1985), and incumbents above 40 (should be born after March 31, 1980). The applications should be submitted together with the proof of foreign language proficiency issued by the host countries where the applicants are to study (Applicants to English-speaking countries are required to take an international standardized English test and gain the following scores: 6.5 or higher in IELTS Academic test; 95 or higher in TOEFL; 300 or more in GRE; 650 or more in GMAT. Applicants to non-English-speaking countries are required to provide a proof of language achievement that meets the requirements for admission to the host university or a certificate of language qualification issued by the host university). In principle, the time of admission should be from August 1, 2020 to July 31, 2021.
(II) Specific Criteria.
Eligible applicants must also meet the following criteria:
1. Enrolled students.
Graduate students pursuing a doctoral degree: Applicants should be fresh graduates who can secure a bachelor's or master's degree before going abroad for study. The application must be submitted together with a copy of the letter of admission from the host university, a waiver of tuition fee or a proof of sponsorship, a copy of IELTS/TOEFL/GRE/GMAT test transcript (for English-speaking countries) or a certificate of language qualification issued by the host university/supervisor (for non-English-speaking countries). Applicants who have made academic achievements within the past three years will be prioritized for the Program.
Doctoral students applying for joint program: In principle, applicants should be outstanding full-time non-graduating doctoral students. Applicants meeting the following requirements will be given priority under the same conditions: majors in natural science who have published one or more papers in SCI, EI or ISTP journals, or have been granted one or more patents; majors in humanities and social science who have published one or more papers in SCSI, CSSCI or AHCI, or have one or more paper being included in Xinhua Digest (Xinhua Wenzhai) and Replicated Journals of Renmin University of China. A copy and translation of the official invitation letter of the host university (with the seal of the applicant’s home university or employer), a study plan jointly prepared by the supervisors from the home and host universities (signed by the supervisor from the host university), and a certificate of enrollment issued by the applicant's university or research institute must also be provided.
2. Incumbents at public institutions and companies under the city government (and district governments).
Incumbents at public institutions and companies under the city government (and district governments) are required to submit the following documents: a copy of the letter of admission from a host university, a waiver of tuition fee or a proof of funding, employer-issued letter of consent to dispatch and cover letter agreeing to pay the security for the incumbent’s study abroad according to the provisions of the Implementation Measures for GEP Oversea Study Program. Other criteria for application and evaluation for these incumbents are the same as those for other applicants.
The project sets no limit on the number of applications, and all eligible applicants will be evaluated. In principle, the number of doctoral students recommended for joint program by universities and research institutes should not exceed 60% of the total number of their recommended applicants. Incumbents at public institutions and companies are encouraged to submit applications.
VI. Application Documents
(I) Applicants must submit the Application for GEP Oversea Study Program (see Appendix 2) and relevant supporting documents, as well as the Brief Introduction to Applicant for GEP Oversea Study Program (see Appendix 3).
(II) The applicant's university, research institute or employer must submit the 2020 Summary of Applications for Oversea Study Program of Guangzhou Elite Project (see Appendix 4) with the official seal of the graduate school/division (for universities) or that of the HR department (for public institutions and companies).
If a doctoral student applying for joint program cannot complete overseas program before the specified time of graduation, his/her university/research institute must separately issue a written consent to delayed thesis defense and graduation.
Incumbents at public institutions and companies under the city government (and district governments) are required to submit employer-issued letter of consent to dispatch and cover letter agreeing to pay the security for the incumbent studying abroad according to the provisions of the Implementation Measures for GEP Oversea Study Program.
VII. Procedures for Application
(I) Eligible applicants should contact foreign universities that are within the scope of qualifications and majors specified herein.
(II) Applicants having a determined future employer should consult with the employer and be prepared to sign an agreement on the matter with it. Those who intend to apply for the Program with Guangzhou State-owned Assets Supervision & Administration Commission (SASAC)-supervised enterprises as their future employers may visit the SASAC website (http://gzw.gz.gov.cn/) to learn more information about these companies. Applicants who successfully enter into an employment contract with these companies will be prioritized as appropriate.
(III) Eligible applicants who intend to apply for funding from the Program may log in to Guangzhou One-Stop Service Platform for Overseas (Studying Abroad) High-Caliber Talents on the website of Guangzhou Human Resources & Social Security Bureau (http://gzrsj.hrssgz.gov.cn/vsgzhr/login_lx2.aspx) and complete relevant documents which will be preliminarily reviewed by the applicant's employer, university or research institute before being submitted to Guangzhou Service Center for Scholarly Exchange for further review. The application documents must specify the full names of the host universities (including campuses or school districts) in Chinese and English, the names of and introduction to the majors and supervisors from the host universities.
(IV) Relevant universities, research institutes or public institutions and companies should log in to Guangzhou One-Stop Service Platform for Overseas (Studying Abroad) High-Caliber Talents, review the application documents submitted by their students of incumbents, fill in the 2020 Summary of Applications for Oversea Study Program of Guangzhou Elite Project after making a statistics and list of the applicants passing the preliminary review; stamp, scan and save the document in pdf format using the organization name as the name of the document; and then email it together with the electronic documents of the applicants to email@example.com.
VIII. Other Requirements
During the application for the project, applicants shall strictly comply with the following requirements:
(I) Check the documents carefully before submission. Before submitting the documents, Applicants must check carefully all information and documents and make sure that they are correct and accurate. Application documents that have not been reviewed by relevant universities, research institutes or employers, or that are illegible or incomplete will not be accepted. If the applicants or their universities, research institutes or employers are found to have falsified the documents, the applicants will be held accountable and their universities, research institutes or employers will be disqualified from submitting applications for the year.
(II) Strictly abide by the agreement on application. Applications should be made on a voluntary basis. Applicants should review the requirements specified in this Notice before submitting the applications. Once the applications are submitted, the applicants are deemed to agree to abide by relevant rules and requirements of the Implementation Measures for GEP Oversea Study Program and the Notice and all kinds of agreements during their study abroad.
(III) Impose strict discipline on dispatch and selection. All universities, research institutes and employers must impose strict discipline on dispatch and selection. Application documents that have been submitted for review must not be revised or supplemented; applicants that have made the list of fund recipients must not change their majors, duration of studying abroad and supervisors; applicants who cannot study abroad as agreed for factors other than force majeure events will be deemed to be in violation of contract. The deadline for the online application is June 15, 2020, and any overdue applications will not be accepted. In case of changes, a separate notice will be sent.
It is hereby notified.
Leadership Group Office for Oversea Study Program of Guangzhou Elite Project
March 26, 2020
Contact persons and telephone:
Mai Huiting: 83137599 ; Huang Wenna: 83724750
( Project Service Dept., Guangzhou Service Center for Scholarly Exchange; Add.: F6, Beixiu Building, No.266 Xiaobei Road, Guangzhou);
Hou Wei: 83517583 (Organization Department, CPC Guangzhou Municipal Committee);
Qiu Guojun: 22083723 (Education Bureau of Guangzhou Municipality);
Deng Kai: 83125623 (State-owned Assets Supervision & Management Commission of Guangzhou Municipal People’s Government).
Guangzhou Human Resources Information Center: 83126088